Society & Culture & Entertainment sports & Match

Manchester United Soaring High

Games at Old Trafford should come with a health warning which should clearly state that they are not for the faint-hearted.
Having begun the month with a last-gasp victory over Aston Villa, the Reds ended it in similarly dramatic fashion after coming from two goals down to seal a stunning 5-2 victory over Tottenham Hotspur which moved United three points clear of Liverpool at the top of the table.
Darren Bent and Luca Modric had given the visitors a shock two-goal lead at half-time, but Sir Alex's men stormed back after the break thanks to a brace apiece from the outstanding Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo and another from Dimitar Berbatov.
The Bulgarian was one of five players who returned to the starting line-up after sitting out the victory over Harry Redknapp's former side, Portsmouth, three days earlier.
Rafael da Silva, who had filled in at right-back against Pompey following injuries to Gary Neville and John O'Shea, carried on where he left off, while Nani, Michael Carrick, a scorer in midweek after coming off the bench, and Rio Ferdinand were also back in the first XI.
There was, however, no place for Ryan Giggs who watched on from the stands knowing he would have to wait for another day, most probably Wednesday against Arsenal, to make his 800th appearance in a red shirt.
United began the match in second following Liverpool's earlier victory at Hull and the Reds immediately set about regaining top spot.
Berbatov almost had the first sight of goal after just 30 seconds, but Darren Fletcher's pass was just too long for the striker allowing Heurelho Gomes to collect.
Having already secured their top flight status, Spurs came to Old Trafford with little to play for other than pride.
But they weren't about to let that pride be easily dented and with a player of Aaron Lennon's quality in your side there's always a chance of opening up the opposition.
And that's exactly what the pacey winger nearly did on eight minutes.
Fortunately Darren Bent's header from Lennon's floated right-wing cross was pushed around the post by Edwin van der Sar.
At the other end, Gomes had to be alert to Cristiano Ronaldo's speculative 40-yard free-kick which bounced awkwardly in front of the Spurs' stopper who claimed it at the second time of asking.
Four minutes later the Portuguese winger flashed a header wide after jumping to meet Nani's left-wing cross.
United appeared to be edging ever closer to an opener, but it was visitors who struck first blood on 29 minutes.
Vedran Corluka's whipped cross was missed by both Vidic and Ferdinand allowing the ball to fall to Darren Bent who smashed home from six yards.
Three minutes later things got doubly worse for United who looked more than a little shaky once more at the back.
Lennon's cross from the right dropped to the unmarked Luca Modric who chested the ball down before lashing it inside the near post.
A shell-shocked Old Trafford couldn't quite believe what they were seeing.
United were in need of a minor miracle, or two, and Ronaldo almost provided it seven minutes from the break.
Having seen his initial free-kick strike the wall, the winger reacted quickest and flicked a dipping volley towards goal only to be denied by a superb finger-tip save from Gomes.
United's comeback mission was given a further boost when Carlos Tevez replaced Nani at the break.
And the Argentine was involved in the Reds' first two chances of the second period.
First he laid on a cross for Rooney who saw his curling effort deflected wide, before Tevez himself had a close-range shot repelled by Gomes after a lovely little ball from Ronaldo.
The Portuguese winger was handed the chance to get United back into the game on 57 minutes when Gomes was deemed to have upended Carrick in the area after a defense-splitting pass from Rooney had put the England international through on goal.
Replays showed the keeper did in fact get a slight touch on the ball, but no-one in a red shirt cared a jot.
From the spot, Ronaldo calmly steered the ball down the middle of the goal as Gomes dived to his left.
Old Trafford erupted - the fightback had begun.
Ten minutes later the Reds were back on level terms.
A great one-two between Berbatov and Tevez allowed the latter to slide a pass into Rooney whose low shot through the legs of Corluka crept in at the near post after Gomes failed to get a strong enough hand on it.
Victory was now in sight and, quite unbelievably, a mere 60 seconds later United were ahead.
Evra laid the ball to Rooney who cut inside from the left and sent an inswinging centre towards the onrushing Ronaldo who met it with a diving header that bounced into the roof of the net.
The relief and joy around Old Trafford was palpable.
Surely things couldn't get any better? They could, two goals better in fact.
Sublime control from Berbatov was followed by a neat lay-off to Ronaldo who clipped a lovely cross to the back post where Rooney was waiting.
The striker brought the ball down and took aim.
The ball hit Jonathan Woodgate on the line, but the defender was unable to stop it rolling over despite his and Ledley King's best efforts.
Darren Bent saw a curling shot whistle inches past Van der Sar's left-hand post soon after, before United headed upfield once more and bagged a fifth on 79 minutes.
And it was another excellent move by the rampant Reds.
Tevez flicked a pass into Berbatov who sent the ball out to Rooney on the left.
Once again he cut inside and arrowed a pin-point cross towards Berbatov who was now waiting in the middle.
His header was parried by Gomes, but the Bulgarian was able to poke home the rebound from two yards.
Van der Sar produced a fine stop from Robbie Keane six minutes from time, but it was all over by then.
It had been a breathtaking comeback from United on yet another unforgettable day which edged the Reds ever closer to a third successive title.

Leave a reply